A weed dealer has admitted to causing the death of a 7-year-old boy and 35-year-old man in a devastating house explosion in Newcastle.
Reece Galbraith, 33, admitted two counts of manslaughter and the production and supply of cannabis at Newcastle Crown Court after the blast levelled a property in the city in October last year and killed two people, including a seven-year-old boy. A firefighter said the explosion, on Violet Close in Benwell, Newcastle, was the "most challenging" incident faced by the service in years. Seven-year-old Archie York and Jay Laws, 35, tragically died, while six others were rushed to hospital with injuries. Multiple neighbouring properties were also left "badly affected" by the fiery explosion.
Shocking drone images captured the utter devastation caused by the explosion overnight, with fire crews were called to the area at around 12.45am. The roof of the home was blown off entirely, while debris was left scattered around the front and back of the properties.
READ MORE:
READ MORE:
A spokesperson for confirmed Archie's death on October 16 last year. Police Superintendent Darren Adams said: "It is with great sadness I stand before you today following the death of a young child.
"As a result of the incident here in the early hours of the morning a seven year old has sadly passed away. Despite the efforts of emergency services he died at the scene. This is a truly devastating outcome.
"I have no doubt the people of Elswick and Benwell and our wider region will want to join me in sending their thoughts and condolences to family and friends. The loss and pain they must be suffering is unimaginable."
Officers later said a second body had been recovered from the scene. Jason Laws, known as Jay, was described by his brother as the "best dad in the ". Paying tribute on , he wrote: "One thing I can say you have been the best big brother I could ask for you would be willing to die for me and protected me the past 30 years even when I didn't need protected anymore."
Police said an investigation into the cause of the explosion was ongoing. Superintendent Adams said: "We are working with our partners as our investigation continues. For a number of reasons this is complex and time consuming, not least due to the level of damage which has been caused.
"As always, we would ask people not to speculate about what has happened both online and within the community.
"As we have previously made clear and I would reiterate now, we are committed to providing answers to what has happened. I would like to thank the community for their continued support and cooperation at this incredibly tragic time."
You may also like
'None of this is regular': US crackdown on foreign students alarms universities
Why is this girl's boarding school in the country the first choice of every parent? Know about it
Manoj Kumar no more: Celebrating Bhart Kumar's iconic Films, Timeless Classics, unseen photos
Meghalaya MBOSE SSLC Result 2025: Meghalaya Board 10th Result 2025 will be declared tomorrow, check it first like this..
Bokaro shuts down over youth's death in lathicharge, protests erupt across city